Policy #: 500.02
Subject: Family Privacy Protection Act Policy
Approved: July 23, 2014
The language used in this document does not create an employment contract between the employee and the agency. This document does not create any contractual rights or entitlements. The agency reserves the right to revise the content of this document, in whole or in part. No promises or assurances, whether written or oral, which are contrary to or inconsistent with the terms of this paragraph create any contract of employment.
Statement Of Policy
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources establishes this policy on the collection and dissemination of personal information in accordance with Sections 30-2-10 through 30-2-50 of the South Carolina Code of Laws. The purpose of the policy is to ensure that the collection of personal information by the Department is limited to such personal information as is required and necessary to fulfill a legitimate public purpose, and to further ensure that the Department shall collect and disseminate personal information in compliance with the South Carolina Family Privacy Protection Act.
- 'Personal information' - means information that identifies or describes an individual including, but not limited to, an individual's photograph or digitized image, social security number, date of birth, driver's identification number, name, home address, home telephone number, medical or disability information, education level, financial status, bank account(s) number(s), account or identification number issued by and/or used by any federal or state governmental agency or private financial institution, employment history, height, weight, race, other physical details, signature, biometric identifiers, and any credit records or reports.
- 'Legitimate public purpose' - means a purpose or use which falls clearly within the statutory charge or mandates of an agency, board, commission, institution, department, or other state entity.
- 'Commercial solicitation' - means contact by telephone, mail, or electronic mail for the purpose of selling or marketing a consumer product or service.
- 'Commercial solicitation' does not include contact by whatever means for the purpose of:
- offering membership in a credit union;
- notification of continuing education opportunities sponsored by not-for-profit professional associations;
- selling or marketing banking, insurance, securities, or commodities services provided by an institution or entity defined in or required to comply with the Federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Modernization Act, 113 Stat. 1338; or
- contacting persons for political purposes using information on file with state or local voter registration offices.
Collection of Personal Information
The Department shall not collect personal information beyond that which is required and necessary to fulfill a legitimate public purpose of SCDNR. SCDNR is a law enforcement and licensing agency as well as an agency that titles and registers watercraft and outboard motors. In order to protect the natural resources and the public from unlawful use of natural resources or unlawful use or theft of boats and motors, it is the policy of this agency, as well as the law of the State, that personal information such as described in the Family Privacy Protection Act be collected by the agency.
Limiting Release of Personal Information
The Department shall take reasonable measures to limit release of personal information. We have notified and instructed our staff of their responsibilities concerning the protection of personal information. However, the South Carolina Family Privacy Protection Act requires that parties be advised that any personal information collected by the Department may be subject to public scrutiny or release.
Use for Commercial Solicitation Prohibited
Section 30-2-50 of the South Carolina Family Privacy Protection Act prohibits persons or private entities from obtaining or using any personal information obtained from the Department for commercial solicitation. A person knowingly violating this prohibition is guilty of a misdemeanor offense and subject to the penalties specified in 30-2-50 (D). Any person or entity requesting or obtaining records pursuant to the South Carolina Family Privacy Protection Act shall be notified of this prohibition.
Party Responsible for Administration of the Policy
SC DNR – Legal Office
Freedom of Information Officer
SCDNR PO Box 167 Columbia, SC 29202
Information Access, Distribution and Security
The SCDNR restricts access to personal information stored in agency databases to authorized personnel and only for the purposes of conducting agency business as required by state law. We do not share or distribute any data, including email addresses, to individuals, organizations or companies except as required by State or Federal law or in accordance with Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requirements.
The SCDNR does generate aggregate data and user statistics for State and Federal reporting requirements and to convey information to the public regarding natural resources in South Carolina. Aggregate data does not identify an individual person.
The SCDNR stores email addresses voluntarily provided by citizens for the purpose of communication regarding official business. The agency uses the email addresses to inform citizens of hunting and fishing and other news regarding recreational activities and opportunities. The DNR does not share these email addresses with any other entity or organization except to conduct official business of the Department. Customers may request removal of their email address from notification lists or from the Department database at any time.
The SCDNR maintains a web site to provide information and access to various types of public information. While every effort is made to insure that all information is accurate, data on this site is provided “as is” without a warranty of any kind. The agency is not responsible for damages or injury caused by failure of performance, error, omission, inaccuracy, completeness or other errors in information on this site. Information is subject to change without notice and any aspect of this web site may be discontinued at any time.
The SCDNR also links to other web sites of partner agencies and organizations for the purpose of conducting official business and providing citizens with relevant natural resources information maintained by other entities. Please read the Privacy Policies of other organizations prior to use of their systems. The SCDNR is not responsible for the web content or the use of personal information by other organizations.
The SCDNR does use third party vendors to provide computer systems and web sites for fulfilling the licensing and titling requirements of State Law. These vendors are bound by the Privacy Policies of the SC Department of Natural Resources as outlined in this document.
The SCDNR maintains all personal information in databases that reside behind security firewalls in accordance with State IT Security Requirements and professional information technology security standards. Cookies and tags may be used for some of the web applications but only as required to conduct official state business. The DNR uses session cookies to track a particular on-line transaction. These cookies are temporary and are destroyed after successful completion of the transaction, after a few minutes of inactivity or when the browser is closed.